Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fruitvale Station: The Shooting of Oscar Grant

*sigh*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitvale_Station

There's the wiki entry for this movie. I just got home from a late night recording of the podcast I'm a regular member of called Black on Black Cinema. We discussed this film and all of the issues it therein. I'm gonna discuss my general feels right now but the podcast will be more detailed.

This film was one of if not the most powerful film I had ever seen. It hurt a lot to watch it. I was angry and I cried quite a bit and I'm not ashamed to admit that. As soon as the credits rolled I needed to leave and get some air outside. The I needed some help to relax a bit...


Now I know there are many out there that will believe this movie will generate race based anger but that's clearly not what is happening. It will not make you hate whitey but it WILL make you hate injustice. Yes, that injustice has race based issues at its heart but this movie still goes out of its way to show you that everyone, EVERYONE, should be upset by what has happened here. Then you should be upset that this stuff happens FAR too often.

So... Fruitvale Station. please see it. Get to know what kind of person Oscar Grant was. He wasn't perfect. He wasn't a villain and he wasn't a hero. He was a man trying to live life. He loved his family and his daughter most of all. He makes mistakes, some much larger than others. He is... just a man. Please go out this weekend and get to know this man. And know that your tears are justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment